We know there are a lot of Health Coach Certification options out there. With so many factors to consider, how can you find out which program is right for you?
We got our stuff together and created our top 10 questions you should ask to help guide you through the process of choosing your Health Coach Certification Program along with our answers below.
1. Am I getting the most up-to-date, innovative health coach training?
- Yes! The Functional Medicine Coaching Academy is the gold standard in health coach training. Our program is the only one designed in partnership with The Institute for Functional Medicine, which means you’ll have access to cutting-edge Functional Medicine research and tools. Our program is also one of the few to receive approval from the National Board for Health & Wellness Coaching, which gives us a high standard for coaching.
2. What is the length of the course and how flexible is the schedule?
- Our 12-month Health Coach Certification Program is 100% online, so you can access the course materials anywhere, anytime. A lot of students listen to webinars while commuting, exercising, working around the house, etc. Even your live, hands-on training sessions take place via video chat. At FMCA, we’re all about convenience and fitting into your life!
3. What support is available to me as a student and graduate?
- While in the program, you’ll have regular opportunities to learn in a small group setting, practice coaching with fellow students, and receive individualized feedback from your Course Facilitator. After you graduate, our Alumni Program offers bi-monthly mentor coaching to support as you move into a new phase of your career.
4. Who teaches the course?
- Our faculty of experts in the fields of health coaching, Functional Medicine, positive psychology, and mind-body medicine will blow you away! With thought leaders like Dr. Mark Hyman, Dr. Kristi Hughes, Dr. Tom O’Bryan, and Dr. Deanna Minich teaching the course, you’ll learn from the best in the industry.
5. What career paths can I take once I complete the program?
- That depends on your interests and experience. Your training as a Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach prepares you for a wide range of career options. You may choose to establish your own private coaching practice, work on a collaborative care team in a Functional Medicine practice, bring health coaching to a traditional medical practice, work in corporate wellness, or use your training in combination with your current position (a popular choice for students who already work in a health and wellness career). Many students choose a combination of these paths to create their own ideal careers.
6. What kinds of support and community does the program offer after graduation?
- When you graduate from our Health Coach Certification Program, you’ll receive access to our Functional Medicine job board, your own custom profile in our Find a Coach directory, and an invitation to our Alumni Program. Our Alumni Program will provide you first access to new resources, courses, and tools as well as small group mentoring, direct client referrals, and opportunities to connect with our founders, Dr. Sandra Scheinbaum and Elyse Wagner.
7. Are graduates of this program eligible to earn their Board Certification?
- Yes! The Functional Medicine Coaching Academy is one of just a few programs approved by the National Board for Health & Wellness Coaching (NBHWC). Once you graduate, you may choose to sit for the Health & Wellness Coach Certifying Examination to earn the credential “National Board-Certified Health & Wellness Coach,” or NBC-HWC.
8. Is there an opportunity to receive Continuing Education Credit (CEC)?
- Yes! The Functional Medicine Coaching Academy is approved through the National Board for Health & Wellness Coaching (NBHWC) as a continuing education provider. We offer CECs through our Specialty Courses, our annual Live Summit, and through bi-monthly mentoring calls in our Alumni Program.
9. What is the cost of the program, and are payment plans offered?
- Standard tuition is $7997 and we offer two payment plans (6 months and 9 months). We also offer longer-term financing through Paramount Capital Group.
10. Does this program feel right for me?
- At the end of the day, YOU know the answer better than anyone. You want a program that aligns with your values, one that resonates with your passions and goals with a sense of community. When you picture the future you want, choose the program that will help you get there. Trust your intuition. Go with the path that’s calling you.
If you are interested in becoming a Functional Medicine Health Coach, watch as our founders, Dr. Sandra Schienbaum and Elyse Wagner, sit down and address our most frequently asked questions about our program!
We hope this list answered your health coaching questions and will help you make an informed decision about whichever program is right for you. If you have additional questions or just want to talk more about Health Coach Certification, we would love to hear from you! Give us a call 855-270-FMCA (3622).