For millions of individuals coffee is the way to start the day. It gives you that extra push to get out the door and can make the world seem like a better place.
There has been a lot of buzz about “Bulletproof Coffee” and the almost magical amounts of energy it can provide. But is it really all it’s cracked up to be?
Many people swear by it, others call it yet another health fad, up there with kale shakes and juice fasts, but what does the evidence say? Does butter and coffee together offer something unique for shedding the pounds?
What is Bulletproof Coffee?
If you’ve never heard of Bulletproof Coffee before, essentially it’s brewed high-quality coffee blended with grass-fed butter and MCT Oil.
So, how can a cup of coffee give you all this strength, energy, and brainpower? Bulletproof coffee is not just any cup of coffee. Spoiler alert, Bulletproof coffee’s secret has everything to do with fat – the good kind. The medium chain triglyceride (MCT) kind to be precise.
Why grass-fed butter?
Grass-fed butter is higher than grain-fed butter in omega-3 fatty acids, CLA, beta-carotene, vitamin A, vitamin K, vitamin D, vitamin E, and antioxidants.
Its also high in butyrate, a short-chain fatty acid. Studies show that butyrate can both prevent and decrease inflammation in humans. In rodents, studies have shown butyrate to protect against mental illness, improve body composition, increase metabolism, and improve gut health.
Fat is an essential part of almost every physiologic function in our body, particularly when it comes to optimal brain function.
When we ingest good fats in higher amounts, our brains and bodies function effectively. Bulletproof coffee has a high amount of healthy, well-sourced, saturated fat.
Why MCT oil?
MTCs or medium chain triglycerides are a special type of fat that is absorbed into our bloodstream and is then sent straight to the liver to be used as energy, instead of being digested, absorbed, and then stored in our cells.
MTCs have been linked to helping improve body composition, helping the body burn more calories than other sources of fat, and even helping to regulate cholesterol levels.
You can get MCT oil in two ways: unrefined coconut oil, which is about 62-65% medium chain triglycerides, or you can purchase a high quality processed MCT oil which is more concentrated so you will need less.
- Improved metabolism and weight loss
- Reduced hunger and cravings
- Better mental focus
- Steady and sustained energy – The caffeine combined with MCT’s gives a nice relaxed feeling of energy for hours without the crash associated with simple sugars and carbohydrates.
- Improved gut health – The polyphenols from the coffee plus the effects of the MCT are great for your gut flora. Research is mounting on the importance of gut health and the gut-brain axis. MCT has been shown to heal the gut lining and reduce gut permeability conditions in rats and in humans, due to the anti-fungal and anti-bacterial effects, it improves overall gut health.
Bulletproof coffee recipe
- 8-12 ounces of well-sourced organic coffee
- 1 Tsp. – 2 Tbls. of MCT or coconut oil
- 1 Tsp. – 2 Tbls. of grass-fed butter
- Blend for 30 seconds (this is to emulsify the oils for better absorption) until the drink takes on a frothy, foamy consistency.
Note that the recipe calls for a rather varied amount of oil. When first starting Bulletproof coffee, start with less fat and ease into it slowly — as a rapid increase in fats can sometimes cause stomach issues.
If basic bulletproof coffee isn’t your thing, there are healthy additions such as cocoa powder, cinnamon, coconut milk, collagen (for extra protein), etc.