The patient experience can make all the difference in a health journey.
Today, many Americans are living with a chronic illness. When it comes to managing our health, a one-size-fits-all approach often falls short, leading to patients not receiving the one-on-one care they need to live a healthier lifestyle. Many of those patients are left to manage their symptoms instead of treating the root cause of their illness.
This is where functional medicine steps in, offering a personalized and holistic approach to healthcare. An experience that empowers patients to take control of their well-being.
But what does the functional medicine patient experience look like? How is it different than working with a conventional medicine practitioner? Delve into the unique experience of working with a functional medicine practitioner, exploring the benefits, principles, and collaborative nature that define this revolutionary healthcare approach.
What is Functional Medicine?
Simply put, functional medicine is a holistic approach to healthcare that focuses on addressing the underlying causes of illness and promoting optimal health and well-being. Many look to functional medicine when conventional medicine only treats the symptoms of their illness without addressing the root causes of health problems.
Key principles of functional medicine include:
- Individualized Care: Functional medicine practitioners consider each patient’s history and aim to create personalized approaches rather than adopting a one-size-fits-all approach.
- Holistic Approach: Instead of treating isolated symptoms, functional medicine looks at the body as a whole system and how imbalances in one area can affect others.
- Addressing Root Causes: Functional medicine seeks to identify and address the underlying factors contributing to health issues, including poor nutrition, stress, lack of exercise, exposure to toxins, and more.
- Prevention: Functional medicine places a strong emphasis on preventive measures to maintain health and prevent the onset of chronic diseases.
- Integration of Modalities: Functional medicine integrates various approaches, including nutrition, lifestyle changes, herbal medicine, supplements, mind-body techniques, and more.
- Patient-Centered Care: Functional medicine practitioners often spend more time with patients, listening to their concerns, and involving them in the decision-making process.
- Emphasis on Nutrition: Nutrition is a cornerstone of functional medicine. Practitioners often use dietary interventions to address health issues and promote overall well-being.
- Evidence-Informed: Functional medicine is also rooted in scientific evidence. Practitioners aim to use the best available research to inform their treatment approaches.
- Collaborative Approach: Functional medicine practitioners often work collaboratively with other healthcare professionals to ensure comprehensive and coordinated care for patients.
The holistic approach of functional medicine has been shown to improve outcomes in patients across multiple areas. According to the Institute for Functional Medicine, the Cleaveland Clinic has been conducting research on the effectiveness of functional medicine for years and is starting to release its results. In 2021, the Cleveland Clinic released a study showing that not only did functional medicine improve patient outcomes, but also improved healthcare costs overall.
The Functional Medicine Patient Experience
Personalized Care: Unlocking A Unique Health Puzzle
Functional medicine revolves around the patient. Practitioners take history, lifestyle, genetics, and more into consideration when treating their patients. This process begins with a comprehensive assessment, where patients share important details about their lives and medical history. This may include diet, exercise routines, sleep patterns, and stress levels.
Many times in traditional medicine, symptoms are treated in isolation. For example, pain is treated with painkillers instead of treating the cause of the pain. A functional medicine practitioner aims to uncover the underlying causes of health concerns and treat them directly.
Holistic Approach: Treating the Whole Body
The body is a complex web of interconnected systems, and functional medicine recognizes that no health issue stands alone. Functional medicine practitioners seek to understand how various aspects of your life might be influencing your health. Patients experience a holistic approach that takes into account the physical, emotional, and lifestyle factors that contribute to overall well-being. This leads to more a comprehensive and effective treatment strategy.
Empowerment: An Active Role in Healing
One of the most empowering aspects of functional medicine is that the patient is not just a passive recipient of care – they are an active participant in their healing journey. Functional medicine practitioners value input and encourage patients to ask questions, voice concerns, and share their goals.
This collaborative approach is a key part of the functional medicine patient experience. It allows them to make informed decisions about their health and work alongside their practitioner to create a customized treatment plan. Functional medicine treatment should resonate with the patient’s values. A study by Dr. Michelle Beidelschies shows that this approach to treatment improves patient outcomes within a few months.
Prevention: A Focus on the Future
A key part of the functional medicine patient experience is prevention. Because practitioners focus on the body as a whole, making improvements in one area can help prevent future illness in another. By identifying imbalances and triggers early on, practitioners help patients steer clear of triggering health issues down the road. Whether it’s optimizing nutrition, managing stress, or improving exercise, functional medicine equips patients with tools to proactively safeguard their well-being.
Education: Knowledge is Healthcare
The patient experience in traditional medicine can be as jarring as walking into a clinic, spending a few minutes talking to the doctor, then walking out with a prescription not know the ins and outs of your health issues. The functional medicine patient experience is much more than receiving prescriptions and advice – it’s gaining a deeper understanding of health.
Through education, practitioners empower patients with the knowledge to make informed choices about their lifestyle, diet, and treatment options. Patients will leave the clinic having a better understanding of their health and a thorough education on their treatment options. This knowledge serves as a foundation for long-term well-being and empowers patients to become their own health advocates.
For an inside look into one functional medicine patient’s experience, check out The Human Restoration Project, Episode 73. Mare Tomaski interviews a Functional Medicine Patient.
The patient experience when working with a functional medicine practitioner is different in many ways from that of traditional medicine. Functional medicine focuses on personalized care, a holistic approach, and collaboration with patients and other practitioners. It’s important that healthcare values patient individuality and empowers everyone to invest in their health.
One-size-fits-all healthcare isn’t for everyone. For a more personalized patient experience, turn to functional medicine.
Our Latest Blogs
- Read Full Article: Recipe: Sweet Potato Crust Quiche
- Read Full Article: Alumni Spotlight: Kwan Lieu
The Romance Prescription: Exploring Love, Fertility and Preconception Health, with Dr. Kalea WattlesRead Full Article: The Romance Prescription: Exploring Love, Fertility and Preconception Health, with Dr. Kalea Wattles